An island in the north-Dalmatian archipelago, third
largest in Kvarner, situated between Kvarneric and theVelebit Channel,
with a northwest-southeast extension; area 284,5 sq km; population
7,969 (around 60 km long, between 2 and 10 km wide). The south-western
coast of the island is low, and the north-western is steep and high:
the Pag Bay (with the large Caska Cove) and Stara Novalja Bay; the
southeast of the island features three capes. The climate is Mediterranean.
No surface water streams are found on the island; there are springs
near Metajna, Novalja, Povljane and Pag. Most of the island is rocky;
smaller areas are covered with Mediterranean shrubs. The southeast
of the island contains karst lakes Velo Blato and Malo Blato. The
island's highest peak is Sveti Vid (St. Vitus, 348 m).
Vine (zutica), vegetables and fruit are grown in the valleys and
fields (Novaljsko, Kolansko, Povljansko, Vlasicko and Dinjisko).
The area of the Lun peninsula (20 x 2 km) is mostly under olive-groves.
Sheep rearing (cheese of Pag, wool) and viniculture also represent
chief occupations on the island. Major places on the island are
connected by a road and a 300m-long bridge built in 1968 (the length
of the arch over the sea is 195 m), via Cape Fortica, Razanac and
Posedarje with the main road. Ferry connection Prizna - Zigljen.
Major ports and yachting marinas include Stara Novalja, Pag, Caska,
Metajna, Dinjiska, Stara Povljana, Nova Povljana, Kosljun, Simuni,
Mandre, Novalja and Tovarnele.
In the past Pag was inhabited by the Illyrian tribe called Liburnians
(the ruins of a fort and a necropolis near Kolan, in Mihovilje near
Novalja, in Dabor and Vidasov Kant); fields with tumuli from the
Bronze Age lie between Kosljun and Simun. At the beginning of the
1st century at the latest, the Ancient Romans constructed a fortification
system to defend themselves against Illyrian tribes: a large castrum
Cissa (Caska), a port castrum Navalia (Novalja) and smaller forts:
Kosljun above the Novaljsko field, Svetojasnica on the cape of the
karst Zaglava. Apart from the forts, there were also larger (Pagus)
and smaller Roman settlements (the ruins of a town in Tovarnele
near Lun, in the fields Brbonovica and Lesandrovica, etc.).
The Croats inhabited the island early; their major settlement after
their population of the island was Kesa (a part of which is included
in today's Novalja). King Petar Kresimir IV donated (1071) the northern
part of the island to the church of Rab; the southern part of the
island became the property of Zadar. In the Middle Ages Pag was
very often the scene of frequent clashes between the inhabitants
of the island of Rab and those from Zadar. At the end of the 12th
century, after the fall of Kesa, the old town Pag assumed the leading
role on the island. - From 1409 to 1797 Pag was under the rule of
the Venetian Republic, afterwards shared the same destiny as the
rest of Dalmatia under the Austrian rule. After the German-Italian
occupation in 1941, it fell under the Italian rule, afterwards occupied
by the Germans. In 1945 the island was annexed to Croatia.
The old folk tradition has been partly preserved: tunes (following
the same melody, the type of singing known as "na kanat"),
both the heroic and the love ones, traditional dances ("po
starinski", "po paski", "the ring of Pag")
in Pag and Novalja ("po naski"). Traditional arts of the
island are the stitched lacework of Pag (the lacework school was
founded in 1906) and the crochet lacework of Novalja.
Regardless of the weather conditions, the island is accessible
through the Pag Bridge from Cape Osjak on the mainland (near Miletici)
to Cape Fortica on the island (near Miskovici), 20 km from the town
of Pag, the centre of the island. In winter, the bora blowing from
Mt. Velebit can disturb the ferry schedule.
"Biser" Pero Jelenic - HR - 23250 Island PAG
accommodation "Villa Kosljun" - Kosljun 135 - HR - 23250
Pag - Island PAG